This episode is for my lovely freelancers! (Or, really, ANYONE who runs a service-based business that serves other business.)
I’m talking to Eleanor Goold, who founded Kreativ Copywriting after careers in financial services and as a canine massage therapist. 🐕
We had SUCH a good conversation about getting clients as a freelancer, finding a niche that you really LOVE (and not one that you “should” love on paper), and why sometimes, it’s best to just start out as what she calls a “hired pen” as you develop your business.
We also talked about her success in generating leads on LinkedIn, and why it’s such a fantastic platform to market yourself and find clients without the competition of Instagram & Facebook.
After you listen to this episode, follow me on Instagram @businessbitchchelsea to tell me what you learned, what you liked, and what you’d love to hear in future episodes!
What We Talk About:
- Eleanor’s business & All. The. Things. she has going on inside of it.
- Eleanor’s background working in financial services & deciding she wanted more out of life besides her “nice” 9-5 job.
- Her training as a dog therapist & canine massage therapist.
- Her foray into copywriting & getting lucky with SEO & being found online by clients.
- How she used other people’s SEO success to reverse-engineer her own success on Google.
- How she tried EVERYTHING as far as getting clients… and was successful in some & not-so-successful in others.
- How neither of us relied on “networking events” for getting clients, and instead just used the internet to find people to work for.
- Why LinkedIn is the best for finding B2B clients.
- Eleanor’s process behind getting great leads on LinkedIn.
- The things freelancers do online when they’re desperate for clients that make us cringe. 😖
- How we each found our niche within the world of copywriting.
- BUT why you don’t need a niche to start out.
- Adding courses as a revenue stream to her business once she was well-established as a freelance writer.
- How you can be a high-paid freelancer AND be accessible to all kinds of people at all different price points.
- Why Eleanor puts some of her courses on Udemy to both make money & generate leads.
- Why she doesn’t do big course launches.
- Why she doesn’t have one price point for coaching & how she keeps her coaching flexible.
- Balancing burn-out & motivation. Why she has to have three projects going on at once to stay really motivated.
- Why being competitive with other copywriters doesn’t pay off. And why being collaborative with your “competition” can actually REALLY pay off for both of you.
- Comparisonitis in the copywriting industry.
- Why Eleanor is into TikTok & is testing some accounts there. (And why you should be paying attention to TikTok if you offer services to businesses.)
- Her advice for the Business Bitch community: NEVER STOP MARKETING.
- Her business growth goals & how she plans to reposition herself in the future.
Links Mentioned in the Interview:
- Kreativ Copywriting
- Eleanor Goold on LinkedIn
- The Copywriter on Facebook
- The Copywriter on LinkedIn
- My backstory as a copywriter in Episode 5 of The Business Bitch Podcast
- The Anti-Social Chat Show podcast
- Kreativ Conversations podcast
- The Utterly Compelling Series of Online Content Creation
- The Business Bitch Dispatch
- Her course on becoming a successful freelance copywriter
- LinkedIn Content Creator Course
- Business Bitch on Instagram